Water disasters can be a sudden emergency that leaves us feeling frustrated and anxious about what to do next. Because timing is of the essence when it comes to water and flood damages, it’s crucial to act fast and take the right steps as soon as possible. ServiceMaster Elite Cleaning Services has the answers to help you know what to do next when your basement floods or a storm infiltrates your home.
Who Do I Call First?
The first person you should call is your property insurance agent. The second person to call is us. Once you’ve let your insurance company know about the water damage problem, they can begin the claims process. After you call ServiceMaster Elite Cleaning Services, we can begin the water mitigation and restoration process. Immediately begin documenting the damage and keeping records of what may need to be replaced.
What Should I Be Documenting?
Take as many photos and videos of the damages as possible BEFORE any type of cleanup or restoration has begun. Your insurance claims adjuster will want to see how severe the damages were before restoration takes place. Do NOT throw anything away, even items that seem unsalvageable. Your claims adjuster will need to inspect these items and their level of water damage as part of the claims process. The following are also important to include when documenting your claim:
- Date and cause of the flooding or water damage
- Areas of the home or business affected
- Cleanup and restoration estimates from ServiceMaster Elite Cleaning Services
- Receipts for cleanup, repairs, or other related costs from ServiceMaster Elite Cleaning Services
- Receipts for hotel stays or other related expenses as a result of your disaster
- An inventory of personal items lost, damaged, or destroyed by the flood or water damage
- Detailed records of all communications with the insurance company including but not limited to: phone logs, emails, names of representatives spoken to and date/time of interaction
How Do I Know What My Insurance Will Cover?
Go over your homeowners or renter’s insurance policy. If you cannot find this paperwork or it was damaged during the flood, your insurance company or agent can provide you another copy. Pay special attention to the declarations page! It will give you important information regarding your particular policy’s water damage coverage, deductibles, limitations and exclusions. Make sure you are also aware of any claim filing deadlines.
It is common for homeowner or renter’s insurance to not cover flooding. Since Southern Louisiana is a flood prone area, research what flood insurance policies can be purchased as an add-on to your property insurance.
When you experience water damage or severe flooding, you need help – fast. That’s why ServiceMaster Elite Cleaning Services in Southern Louisiana has technicians on call 24/7 to help you need when you need it most. Call us right away at (800) 932 – 9940.