Bleach is frequently used and is found in almost all household cleaning products. It is a very strong, corrosive material and is also highly toxic. When using on the commercial level, it can possibly ruin carpets and be harmful to those inside of the building. When bleach is mixed with other cleaning products it can potentially end up being even more dangerous and toxic. The mixtures can create fumes that if inhaled, could cause serious hazardous situations. Bleach is often used as a cleaning product because of its capacity to dissolve and kill all forms of bacteria.
Bleach contains harmful chemicals that can easily cause second degree chemical burns if it is being used in a concentrated form. Adding water to the product could reduce the hazardous nature by diluting the it. Some of the harmful effects that are caused by bleach when mixed with ammonia or other cleaning products are as follows:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Irritation to the throat, nose, and eyes
There are a few preventative measures that could save some possibly fatal accidents from taking place:
Find better alternatives: Bleach is used for cleaning purposes, but it is not the only product that could be used. Hydrogen peroxide is another product that can be used to clean kitchens and to disinfect.
Get educated: Most accidents happen because lack of knowledge. You should always have proper knowledge of the product that you are using. It’s important to know the do’s and don’ts of the product.
Never remove labels: Labels contain important information about the chemical, so removing them should be avoided and safety instructions on the label should always be read before using the product.
Avoid contact: While using bleach for household cleaning purposes you should avoid encountering the chemical. If by chance the chemical comes in contact with the eyes, mouth, or any other part of the body you should immediately call the poison control.
Keep them out of the reach of the children.
Today there are several bleach alternatives that clean and fight germs all while being environmentally friendly. Contact us today to find out more about these alternatives or give us a call at (800) 932 – 9940 to request a consultation.