As defined by U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) is when occupants of a building experience acute ill health symptoms, however, no specific illness or cause can be identified.
It can be easy to confuse SBS with a virus like a cold and flu virus. However, unlike a cold or flu virus, people experience SBS symptoms only when in the building. They generally feel relief once outside the building.
What are the symptoms of Sick Building Syndrome?
SBS symptoms can appear as individual symptoms or as a combination of symptoms. It is entirely possible for people to even experience different symptoms in the same building.
A few symptoms people might experience are:
- A headache
- A cough with or without chest pain
- Muscle Pain
- A sore Throat
- Eye Irritation
- Skin Rashes
- Nosebleeds or a runny nose or congestion
- Sensitivity to odors
While symptoms may vary, it is widely agreed that SBS can cause poor health, low productivity and a drop in motivation among your employees. If you notice an uptick in the number of sick days, it might be time to consider Sick Building Syndrome.
How can you prevent SBS?
A good way to prevent Sick Building Syndrome would be to identify the causes. A few common causes are:
- Poor ventilation
- Chemical contaminants
- Biological contaminants such as mold or bacteria growth
You can prevent the occurrence of SBS by following these steps:
- Regularly inspect and clean your HVAC systems
- Use HVAC filters with high-load capacity and change filters frequently
- Increase Ventilation
- Replace carpets damaged by water
- Regularly clean all tiles and grouts regularly to prevent mold growth
- Clean your property and remove any bird, insect or rodent droppings.
- Remove the presence of mold spores, pollen, and dust mites to improve air quality.
A well cleaned and sanitized facility is a healthy facility. A cleaner work environment keeps employees happier, healthier and productive. At Service Master Elite Cleaning Service the health and well being of our customers is of utmost importance. Contact us today and we will provide you with customized cleaning solutions tailored to suit your business’s needs.