Apartment fires can be quite dangerous since they can easily spread from one apartment to another. However, apartments building are often constructed keeping the safety of their tenants in mind. Apartments also generally have a fire alarm system in place to warn residents in the event of a fire.
However, if you do stay in an apartment building it is important that you review these fire safety tips so that you know how to react to a fire.
Fire Safety Tips
- A typical fire alarm system comprises of smoke detectors, fire alarms, and manual fire alarm boxes. The smoke detectors set off the fire alarms if they detect any smoke.
- The manual alarm boxes allow residents to sound an alarm if necessary. You should be aware of the location of the manual fire alarm boxes in your apartment building. They are usually located near the exits.
- The fire alarm has a loud tone to warn residents in the event of a fire. If you hear the alarm ring, evacuate the building as soon as possible.
- Don’t take a fire alarm lightly, treat it as an emergency every time.
- Do not activate the fire alarm from a manual fire alarm box unless you see smoke or fire. False alarms may cause residents to ignore genuine fire alarms too.
- After a fire, do not reenter the building until you are given the permission by the fire chief or your landlord.
- To aid easy evacuation in the event of a fire, be aware of the location of the stairs in your floor. You may need to use an alternate staircase in the event that the stairs closest to your apartment are blocked.
- Before opening the door of your apartment, check the temperature of the door using the back of your door. In case the fire has spread to the hallway you might need to take an alternate exit.
- If you are unable to exit the building, close all doors of the apartment and seal them using towels or tape. Call 911 to inform the fire department that you are trapped in your apartment.
If you live in an apartment building, the thought of a fire may be unsettling. However, being aware of a fire alarm system and the fire safety tips should provide you with peace of mind.
Despite all precaution, we understand the accidents happen and that a fire could take place at your home. If you are located in the Greater New Orleans area and are affected by fire or smoke damage, contact Service Master Elite Cleaning Service for a consultation. We will provide you with a customized solution to restore any damage caused by fire or smoke, tailored to best fit your needs.